Friday, August 6, 2010

I want a Red Tent!

We read "The Red Tent" in book club this month. When it was first suggested, I was intrigued with the idea of the Biblical tale of Jacob and his wives being brought to life in a work of historical fiction. The story is narrated by Dinah, Jacob and Leah's daughter. I'm a fan of "...the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and "King of Dreams", and I kind of expected more of the same feel. Well, without the singing.

Anita Diamant disappointed me. Sorry, Anita, if you're reading this. If they made "The Red Tent" into a musical, I would definitely not be taking my kids to see it!

Aside from sexual innuendo and graphic violence, what I mainly didn't like was the picture that was painted of women I already felt I knew. I felt like I did when I went to see the Percy Jackson movie. It vaguely resembled a story I loved, but was told completely WRONG! I do not believe that Jacob's wives indulged in idol worship or superstition. I think that Jacob taught them the Gospel and that they embraced and practiced it. I know they weren't a perfect family. There's no such thing. But I believe, at the very least, they were parents who tried to follow the Lord the best they could. Just like me. My opinion.

What I DID like about the book was the idea of a red tent, and the recognition of the amazing and profound power that we, as women, have. I liked that "that time of the month" wasn't seen as icky and annoying, but rather it was celebrated as a cleansing process and a time of rejuvenation. I especially liked the idea of women coming together to support each other (despite grudges, conflict, rivalry, jealousy, misunderstanding, etc) to help another woman bring a life into the world.

Overall, though I do not give the book my endorsement, it did inspire me to want to start celebrating my womanhood more fully by doing the following:

1-I'm going to try to cherish the women in my life. I want to have deeper and stronger friendships. This means I'm going to have to put more effort into being a better friend. I want to deliberately attend to the needs of my friends, not just enjoy there company and wave them on there way.
2-I'm going to try to rejoice in being a woman, even when I'm having my period. I mean, come on, it's not like I have to sit on rags or anything! I am very grateful to be a woman in the 21st century. I love being feminine. I love being a wife. I love being a mommy. I'm not going to add any "except for such-and-such part of it".
3-I'm going to make a concerted effort to teach my girls how wonderful it is to be women. I want them to know that they are the crown jewel of the Creator. I want them to know that "women's work" is the BEST work.
4-I'm going to read about other women. There's a great website I came across called The Mormon Women Project (Google it). LDS women from varying walks of life are interviewed and their stories told. I love that it shows that there is no cookie-cutter way to be a Mormon woman. The only thing we need in common is our love for the Savior and His Gospel. I'm going to read every post on the MWP site.

Doing these things will build me my own virtual red tent. You can come visit me here, whenever you like. Well, unless you're a guy. Sorry, no boys allowed.

I know TODAY that being a woman is a wonderful honor. I have never begrudged it. I love being a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment